Montgomery County Hospitals
One of Sunrise Mill's inhabitants was Dr. Chevalier Q. Jackson. Born in Pittsburgh on November 4, 1865, Dr. Jackson attented Western University of Pennsylvania (modern day University of Pittsburgh). He later received his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College in 1886. After further studies in England, Dr. Jackson opened his own laryngology practice in 1887 in Pittsburgh. By 1916, Dr. Jackson and his family moved to Philadelphia.
With more outpatient centers and advancementns in medical science, doctors continue to improve patient care.
Today there are many different types of hospitals throughout Montgomery County. Outpatient centers continue to gain popularity as advanced treatments allow patients to return home more quickly than they had previously been able to. Medical science continues to improve people's lives through new medicine and a better understanding of human anatomy.
We asked visitors: "As we look to the future of healthcare, what do you hope to see?" Here are some of their responses.
With manufacturers, mills, quarries, farms, and railroads present throughout the county, accidental injuries were on the rise in the late 19th century. To provide timely medical attention to people living near Norristown, Montgomery Hospital opened on Juanuary 1, 1891.
Dr. Daniel A. Wilson (~1865 - 1934)
Dr. Wilson was the first black physician in Montgomery County. He received his degree in homeopathic medicines from Hahnemann Hospital in 1890. Established in 1885, Hahnemann Hospital was a major education center for homeopathy. Using minimal substances that encouraged the body to heal itself, homeopathy was one of the leading methods of medical care during Dr. Wilson's lifetime.
As we learn more about human anatomy and diseases, some medical procedures become controversial.
Pictured in this case (from left to right): a mercury glass bottle, homeopathic medicine case, advertisement for Dr. Richardson's medicine, a glass mortar and pestle, and a multi-pieced bloodletting tool.