Ward was an English born restaurateur that died in 1888. He had begun his restaurant business on Swede Street near Lafayette Street in 1848. About a year and a half later, he moved the business to DeKalb Street near Main Street. He established an enviable reputation for business integrity as well as for the character and quality of the articles in which he dealt. Few people came to Norristown and failed to visit his establishment. Robert Ward’s Oysters and Robert Ward’s ale were household words throughout the area. Prominent lawyers, merchants, and businessmen frequented the eatery. He had a positive disposition and refused to permit anything to go from his place that did not fulfill every requisite of the most epicurean taste.