This is a watercolor painting of the Wetherill Mansion. It was painted by local artist, illustrator, and educator Lois Rapp (1907-1992) around 1938.
Wetherill Mansion, HSMC Collection
The mansion has had several names over the years including Wetherill Mansion, Fatland, Fatland Farm, and Vaux Hill to name a few. It is located along the banks of the Schuylkill River in Audubon.
Location of the mansion in Audubon
James Vaux, a wealthy Quaker from Philadelphia, purchased the land from the Morgan family in 1772. By 1776, the first mansion was constructed. The property spanned an estimated 300 acres at the time and was referred to as Vaux Hill. During the American Revolution, Vaux temporarily housed both General George Washington and General Sir William Howe on different nights in September 1777.
Various people have lived in the mansion since James Vaux, but the Wetherill family owned the property the longest (1825 - 1946). The original house was raised in 1843 by William Wetherill. The construction of the new mansion, which still stands today, was completed in 1845. It was designed by noted architect John Haviland, who also designed the original Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.
This painting of the Wetherill Mansion will be on display during our Grandma's Attic exhibit, which will be free and open to the public from May 19, 2022 to March 31, 2023.